Friday, February 15, 2008

Orange Breasted Starling

Permit, Elite

If Two-year Marketing: Julie wanted to know what's Elite

peter-wagner

a year visited Julia Frederick, 28, so-called elite forges. She wondered what elite is. Today she says: An elite schools be deprived normal life. An interview with a much-used term and what he has to do with fear.

you have applied up to three years at McKinsey and wrote a text about the local competition. Was that the starting point for searching for your Book *?
Exactly. McKinsey at that time the term "elite" as propagated ". We shape elites, elites who we do is with us, is elite." I thought: Uh, what do you mean?

At the end of your application, a contract was even before you. Have you considered to sign?
I had one, delayed two weeks - the temptation was suddenly so great. It made me even scared how much it kicked me to have made the arrangements. And when I had a contract in hand, would have meant so much money ... How much

would have been?
67,000 euros in the first year plus car ... but in the end My skepticism was larger.

But you have experienced this moment in which one has the feeling of belonging to a select circle.
Absolutely.

Is this feeling a motive to want to belong to an elite?
There is more. The students at elite universities responded to my question as to whether they were afraid of work to be categorically 'no'. If one is elite, you're going on a lot of worries.

Which universities have you visited for your research?
I was mainly at the European Business School (EBS) in Oestrich-Winkel - there I met a student more than a year away again and again. Then I was at the Bucerius Law School in Hamburg, at the WHU in Vallendar and then I still students of the Bavarian Elite Academy made.

Where did you even study?
In Dortmund.

What is the difference between the universities?
to the private sector universities to study only 25 to 30 percent of girls - the next big business seems to be a male. And I noticed that everything is named after whom. The newest building is at EBS Kiep, Walther Leisler Kiep Center for. The entrance is by a furniture company, the lecture halls are called "German Bank" lecture hall or Daimler-Chrysler-space.

hard Maybe, but: Can you "elite" defined?
"elite" is pushing for many a label to yourself. The term is unclear. Everyone uses it, as he needs it. At the boarding schools where grades do not matter, it is said: We are a responsible elite. On the business universities is said: We are a power elite. My impression was that there the money elite plays an important role. Therefore, I think the term today for a public debate for useless. If someone asks me whether we need elites, I could not say yes or no.

If only the term a problem? Or is it a problem that in principle Are areas in which to withdraw "money elites" or "power elites"?
The private educational career begins today with two years ago. Parents buy kindergartens for 1,000 euros a month and then it continues like this until the end of the course. This development, I think is wrong. Because I have a feeling that these children are pulled out from normal life and with all that is normal to have little to do.

Is this a characteristic of elite?
Yes. But the places are very exclusive. This is already a message sent: Here is something exquisite. And Elite works by taking a few people and tell them that they were Elite. The students of the Bavarian Elite Academy, which I experienced as a very thoughtful, who had therefore a big problem with the term elite. Because they always said: We have good students, we are strict with us. But we are so much more!

is why the term has become so popular? It seems to me that the term would be used as a tool with which to various problems, can cure, for example in education.
Well, in the end I thought I had sympathy with the word. Because it is one of the most instrumented words in the current discussion. One wants to fight first, the German-lagging fear. Second, use it, especially the private Educational institutions to upgrade themselves. It's chic to say that this elite is educated. That sounds better than "We are children of wealthy parents a good school or university."

What experiences have you brought back from the one year research?
I was, for example in a private kindergarten, and I also get a guided tour. I was then shown the basement: There was a complete wellness area with sauna and physiotherapy - because the already often had back pain. It was like an anticipation of the managers lives. Highly absurd.


Can it be that we have learned the elite nature only in the last 10 or 15 years?

Gerhard Schroeder in 1998 said in his first policy speech: Now we need another elite! Thus, the natural enemy of the elite, social democracy has given the okay. This has been a change, I believe. And that so many organizations describe themselves as openly as an elite, which had not existed a few years ago.

Is there a tightening of the conditions of formation? That man, well, is to be made usable?
This has continued throughout my research: knowledge should always be directly usable. This can already be observed in two-year-old, whose parents think about English and Chinese, because they use the language . Keep And not because they find them beautiful. It is about better opportunities in the labor market. And another example: We were in a small school for children "from 2-year-old" - because the children learn marketing!

it? With two years?
you have a toy monster design from the point: to look like the monster, so that now most children? And two, the children!

That sounds like a perversion of the ECI-thought.
But this infant school enjoys a great demand. The parents want this case of small children were the mainly upper middle-class parents who are simply a fear of hell have their child fails or becomes unemployed. The thinking: If he can with two years ago so much, then do not fail because he can. There is an "elite" as an insurance policy.

Currently, there are so many private schools as never before. The proportion of the general education schools has increased to 7.5 percent. Do these schools because of fear of the parents as much feed? The
strive to parents: My child will be spared all the worry. Therefore, the parents of young children will take place already an arms race. Power Point lessons for four year olds, for example - all on sale.

+ + + * Let

, Elite. In the footsteps of the powerful of tomorrow by Julia Frederick has been published by Hoffmann und Campe and costs € 17.95.

0 comments:

Post a Comment